WordPress vs Wix
Both Wix and WordPress are online content systems with site builder tools.
Wix has been around since 2006 and has over 55 million users in 190 countries. Wix works on a what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG) website builder which means that you can drag and drop content, images, photos, buttons, etc directly onto the page to build your website. The way it displays there is how it will look when published.
- Supports HTML5
- Instant mobile site
- Library of stock images to make use of
- 100s of instant templates
- Easy to use
- Around the clock free Wix support
- If you want to move to a different CMS you cannot take the site with you
- Cost of $8.25 – $10.95 depending on the plan you take
WordPress was released in 2003 and is one of the largest site building platforms out there. With more than 74 million sites based on wordpress and developers to match there is no end to the possibilities.
- Large variety of themes and plugins – possibilities are endless
- Easy to change templates
- Fully customizable
- Can move to another company and keep your website
- No Cost except for certain plugins (Cost can become high if a developer is required)
- Steep learning curve
- Lengthy setup
- Lots of how-to blogs but no support
When building your own website the choice is a personal one. It all depends on what you need from your website and what your capabilities as a web developer and designer are.
For those of you that are a bit more tech savvy, the fully customizable CMS of wordpress will blow your mind. If you want a quick solution and don’t have time for the steep learning curve of WordPress then Wix is the way to go.